Saturday, August 20, 2011

How to Install/Unistall GNOME 3 on Ubuntu 11.04

Edit:9-24-11 Apparently GNOME 3 runs pretty well in the latest beta versions of 11.10 which GNOME 3 comes with by default, I believe.  Not sure how this is playing out as I thought Unity was the go to for Ubuntu.  The next release is pretty close Oct. 13th for 11.10 if I am correct.

Ah, I found

Unity is based atop of the latest unstable release of GNOME 3.


Ubuntu 11.10 Beta 2 Released, Reviewed - September 22, 2011 - http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/?p=20709

Ubuntu 11.10 Beta 2 (Oneiric Ocelot) Released - September 23, 2011 - http://www.ubuntugeek.com/ubuntu-11-10-beta-2-oneiric-ocelot-released.html

I'll make a new post about this as well.

Edit: 8-23-11

Ok, I really jacked my installation up. I tried to uninstall GNOME 3 and reinstall Ubunt/GNOME 2 with no luck. When I unistalled GNOME and couldn't reinstall it following this:

Follow the below steps to remove gnome 3 and revert to Gnome 2.x.

sudo apt-get remove libgtk-3-common
sudo apt-get install ppa-purge
sudo ppa-purge ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3
sudo apt-get install gnome-panel

Reboot and you should be back to good old classic gnome. In case you don’t find gnome back again. try this.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

from here -> Ubuntu 11.04 : Uninstall Gnome3 and revert to Gnome 2.x - April 26, 2011 - http://www.ajopaul.com/2011/04/26/ubuntu-11-04-uninstall-gnome3-and-revert-to-gnome-2-x/

Didn't work. Of course not anyone's fault but mine. I was receiving some dependency errors or something like that. My linux knowledge is VERY shallow so this didn't help.

Anyways I found a blog note (which I can't find now!) that had an alternate idea.

Ah here it is: Tutorial: How to remove/uninstall Gnome 3 in Ubuntu 11.04 (Natty Narwhal) - 31 May, 2011 - http://supportlife.wordpress.com/2011/05/31/tutorial-how-to-removeuninstall-gnome-3-in-ubuntu-11-04-natty-narwhal/

Have you installed Gnome 3 from ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3 because you were tired of Unity or just because you wanted to test the new shell and this has broken your login? Are you now on the login screen but no graphic environment will ever work?

Then you have to remove gnome 3 following the steps below:

- Press CTRL+ALT+F1 to access the terminal window and log in. At the prompt type following commands:

- sudo apt-get remove libgtk-3-common

- sudo apt-get install ppa-purge

- sudo ppa-purge ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3

- sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

- sudo apt-get install gnome-panel

- sudo shutdown –r now

The pc will reboot and you should be able to use Unity/Classic login again.

Good luck!

It uninstalled Ubuntu/Unity/Gnome classic and then (tried to) reinstalled it. I got to the last step before restarting "sudo apt-get install gnome-panel" and had some dependency issues again.

Unfortunately, I only had Kubuntu and Xubuntu installed now so when I restarted it asked for a DM login which was either KDM or LXDM. I chose KDM thinking nothing of it. I restarted and the KDM came up fine. I noticed I had to enter my username. No biggie, I thought. I also couldn't select GNOME or Ubuntu since it has been uninstalled at this point. I entered what I thought was my username, but it didn't work. Ok, I tried some other variations of what it could be. Didn't work. Great. So I got my laptop out, as this was all occurring on my desktop, and searched for login problems with forget as a keyword too.

I found where this happened to someone before but in another situation (dammit I forgot this too, I'll try to find these missing pieces).

Ah, I found it too!

Can't Log In to Kubuntu? - 3 weeks ago - http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110805135811AAJ0sTO

I am having problems logging in to Kubuntu. I just switched to Kubuntu from within Ubuntu by typcing into the terminal . Then I selected "kdm" then I ran the line . Then . And this is on a machine that dual boots with windows on the other partition. What I want to know is why Kubuntu forgot my log in information, because I thought it was supposed to transfer all my data over (I backed up my files though). Also, how can I log in, or fix this issue. I was using Ubuntu 11.04. Thanks for the help.

The answer was no help to me either:

re-install ubuntu-desktop, do you know how many libs are shared? half were probably meta packages that pulled out way to much. Whenever you do major stuff like that use aptitude, it won't trash your system like apt-get will.

Ok so I had one last card up my sleeve. I saw here -> [SOLVED] How to remove Gnome 3 from Ubuntu 11.04 - April 11th, 2011 - April 17th, 2011 - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=172675

that someone entered a Live CD or USB and reinstalled Ubuntu over there existing one. They claimed everything was fine and were able to keep files/software/etc. still loaded so they advoid a complete, fresh reinstall or install.

I had the exact same problem, and i managed to fix it pretty easily. I loaded up an Ubuntu 11.04 live cd, and chose the upgrade option. (Even though i was already using 11.04) I let it go through the upgrade process, and when it was done, my computer booted up, i chose Ubuntu classic as my desktop environment (because i am not a fan of unity) and it started it normally with all of my programs and files still there with no sign of gnome 3 in sight. I hope this helps.

So I began to reinstall with a USB stick. I then noticed that the user name Ubuntu gave me then was a version I did not think of at the time. I then tried to go back so I could get out of the upgrade reinstall so I could try the new username idea, but the farthest back I could get was the date setup. I couldn't log out either. So I just restart my computer and pulled the stick. Bad idea!! When I did this I got an error that said

Unable to find a medium containing a live file system

and something about

BusyBox - initramfs

So I looked this up where people had problems with this too, but this error was encounted in some similar and some different situations. I found one solution was to type exit a bunch of times, but this did not work for me past the second when I could type. I couldn't reboot at all without this error or even get an install with the USB LiveCD stick.

The final solution was to get my laptop with the burner out and burn a LiveCD. This worked, but I had to install from start :(.

So moral of the story is...DO NOT INSTALL GNOME 3 unless you know what you are doing and/or you are sure you are going to use it. I would wait anyways until the official release before using GNOME 3 with Ubuntu 11.04 and wait even more for someone to tweak a solution for installing GNOME 3 without harming Unity and/or GNOME classic.

One solution would be to try GNOME 3 on another distro such as Fedora or Open Suse. This is what kind of got me into this mess as I wanted to try to load as many options as I could since I have been jumping back and forth between GNOME classic, Kubuntu, and Xubuntu for quad support.

By the way Xubuntu with XFCE seems to be the best stable-wise so far to use quads (haven't used GNOME classic too much. I like Kubuntu, but it runs slow at times). An alternate might be Lubuntu which runs LXDE and is similar to XFCE but "lighter"

My second mistake came from trying to install too many large package changers at once with the MintMenu install AND GNOME 3. From now on I am going to install large ones like these such as Kubuntu and Xubuntu on at a time between restarts.

Thirdly, I got too greedy with options. I wanted as many distros/options/DEs as possible since I am now forced to look around until Unity supports quads. I wanted to do this like the simple Xubuntu/Kubuntu/Lubuntu options without multi-booting or using a VM. Thus, the MintMenu to get a Mint like DE/distro on Ubuntu and the GNOME 3 fiasco. I looked into multi-booting a bunch of distros, but it looks way too complicated. I think I will stick to running them in VMs.

Finally, my last mistake was not ever backing up my system so that I could recover my setup easily. You'll see this all the time, people warning you to backup your setup and this looks/sounds especially easy in Linux/Ubuntu. So from now on, I am going to do that. That way I couldn't have easily recovered my settings without having to do a fresh install :(, :(, :(!!!!



Edit 8-22-11

Well, apparently GNOME 3 is not officially out yet...so this may be why is still seems unstable/buggy.

GNOME be trollin’ – 3.0 delayed (again) to September 2011 - April 1, 2011 - http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/04/gnome-3-0-delayed-again-to-september-2011/

The new GNOME 3 website goes live - January 19, 2011
- http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/01/gnome-3-website-goes-live/

GNOME 3 delayed until March 2011 - July 28, 2010 - http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/07/gnome-3-delayed-until-march-2011/

Also one of the things when installing GNOME 3 is that the font changes in all DEs (I think not 100% sure). Also, my login screen changed a bit, but I am not sure if that is from the GNOME 3 install, the MintMenu install, or just a regular update? For example the session login bar has been moved to the area where you login instead of on a bar at the bottom of the screen. Going to check to see if Unity is ok after GNOME 3 install and unistall. Cross fingers! Oh and my Ubuntu Classic choice is missing from the session drop down menu, but I am sure that can easily be fixed. I hope I didn't mess things up too badly!!

Ok, so it seems Unity works ok. I couldn't test fully cause I had the Quads going. It may look like that I need to reinstall some icons or the such, but like I said I couldn't test it fully since Unity does not work properly with four monitors.

Also if read this:

Reboot and you should be back to good old classic gnome. In case you don’t find gnome back again. try this.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

This is from Ubuntu 11.04 : Uninstall Gnome3 and revert to Gnome 2.x - April 26, 2011 - http://www.ajopaul.com/2011/04/26/ubuntu-11-04-uninstall-gnome3-and-revert-to-gnome-2-x/

I thought I saw an alternate command other than
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
with gnome instead of ubuntu in the command. I'll try to refind it.

Some GNOME 3 uninstall sites/articles:

[SOLVED] How to remove Gnome 3 from Ubuntu 11.04 - April 11th, 2011 - April 17th, 2011 - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1726755

Intersting comment:
I had the exact same problem, and i managed to fix it pretty easily. I loaded up an Ubuntu 11.04 live cd, and chose the upgrade option. (Even though i was already using 11.04) I let it go through the upgrade process, and when it was done, my computer booted up, i chose Ubuntu classic as my desktop environment (because i am not a fan of unity) and it started it normally with all of my programs and files still there with no sign of gnome 3 in sight. I hope this helps.

Another GNOME 3 install site:

How do I install the latest version of GNOME 3? - Jan 23 at 21:16 - May 19 at 21:56 - http://askubuntu.com/questions/22946/how-do-i-install-the-latest-version-of-gnome-3

Interesting quote explaining some more about the install and other things such as warnings:

Note: GNOME3 is provided as a tech preview for 11.04, it is not officially supported by the Ubuntu team. Here's another warning before you try this.

Using GNOME3 on 11.04 will upgrade major parts of the desktop infrastructure, if you are not familiar with how to do package management then we recommend you try this on a virtualized installation or a non-production system, reverting back to vanilla 11.04 is not trivial.

Specifically GNOME3 will migrate your application settings to gsettings, so if you want to try to rollback you'll get your old settings from before you upgraded.

As with all major desktop upgrades we recommend backing up your important data before getting started.

Some articles on installing GNOME 3 on Ubuntu 11.04. The past few days I have been experimenting with other DEs such as Kubuntu, Xubuntu, and Lubuntu based on KDE, XFCE, and LXDE respectfully. So far I like Kubuntu the best since it is BLUE (I know), I run a lot of KDE apps already (Kopete, Kile, etc.), and the interface is pretty snazzy. However, it may just be me, but Kubuntu runs rather slowly at times. I am running these other DEs since Quad monitors are not "officially" supported in Unity (at least I haven't found a way to run 4 in Unity). I could also throw the Ubuntu Classic or GNOME 2 in there, but I haven't used it much.

Anyways, some info on installing and un-installing GNOME 3. Caveat: apparently GNOME 3 might break Unity so be careful and do your research. For example here is a warning from a commenter on Ubuntu Geek:

Ed says:
July 29, 2011 at 8:12 am

WARNING: gnome3 breaks unity. Even when doing the “ppa-purge” thing … unity might be unable to save any settings afterwards.

Only install gnome3 when you are absolutely sure that you dont need unity any more. Or when you are willing to do a fresh install afterwards.

People have installed it with no problems. GNOME 3 is already the DE for Open Suse and Fedora 15.

Edit: 8-22-11

For me GNOME 3 did not work. The desktop started to show (purplish background and the activity bar), but I couldn't do anything. Luckily I could CTL + ATL + DEL to log out. I think I am going to uninstall it. Plus you can't use GNOME 2/Ubuntu Classic anymore. I think I'll wait until GNOME 3 is more developed to work with other DE installations and when someone has found a way to keep GNOME 2. There may already be a way, I just haven't found it yet.

How to Install Gnome 3 In Ubuntu - August 1, 2011 - http://maketecheasier.com/install-gnome-3-in-ubuntu/2011/08/01

How To Install Gnome 3 on Ubuntu 11.04 -May 4, 2011 - http://techhamlet.com/2011/05/how-to-install-gnome-3-on-ubuntu-11-04/

How to install Gnome3 on ubuntu 11.04 (Natty)/Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick - April 11, 2011 - http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-install-gnome3-on-ubuntu-11-04-nattyubuntu-10-10-maverick.html

How to Install GNOME 3 on Ubuntu 11.04 - April 9th, 2011 - Softpedia - http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-to-Install-GNOME-3-on-Ubuntu-11-04-194085.shtml

GNOME 3 released; to be available for Ubuntu 11.04 via PPA - April 6, 2011 - http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/04/gnome-3-released-to-be-available-for-ubuntu-11-04-via-ppa/

GNOME sites and some more articles on GNOME 3:

http://www.gnome.org/

http://www.gnome.org/gnome-3/


Ubuntu Unity vs. GNOME 3: Which is Better? - April 12, 2011 - http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3930571/Ubuntu-Unity-vs-GNOME-3-Which-is-Better.htm

GNOME 3: Seven Pros and Cons -April 26, 2011 - http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3931801/GNOME-3-Seven-Pros-and-Cons.htm

Screenshots: Unity and Gnome 3 in Oneiric - http://www.ubuntuvibes.com/2011/05/screenshots-unity-and-gnome-3-in.html

No comments:

Post a Comment