Friday, July 13, 2012

Installing/updating Maxima and wxMaxima to 5.27 and 12.04, respectively

It had been awhile since I had used wxMaxima/Maxima on my desktop, and I was getting an error when I was trying to run calculations that wxMaxima was not connected to Maxima.  I began to search for a solution then decided to check the version.  A newer version had of course come out for Maxima-xMaxima as 5.27 and wxMaxima as 12.04.  I decide that upgrading would be easier and more logical than trying to fix the old version I had.

First, I removed the old version.  You can probably do this through through SPM, the terminal, or (what I did) USC.  Then add the repository from blahota on launchpad:

https://launchpad.net/~blahota/+archive/wxmaxima/

apt-add-repository ppa:blahota/wxmaxima


I already had this added from an older version upgrade.  Then run update to update the repositories:

sudo apt-get update


Then install wxMaxima and Maxima either through the terminal (not sure of the exact command; probably something like sudo apt-get install maxima or whatever the file name is), USC, or (what I did) through SPM.  I just selected what I wanted to install.


No comments:

Post a Comment