Saturday, July 16, 2011

Adobe Flash player plugin not installing upgrade for Ubuntu 11.04

So, for some reason an Adobe Flash player plugin would not install an upgrade on my laptop and ONLY on my laptop. Ubuntu is not perfect and does weird things like this. Flash worked fine on my office desktop and my home desktop but not my laptop. I also tried various browsers such as Firefox and rekonq, but everything that ran flash on the web insisted I upgrade Adobe. So I did, or thought I did, because I clicked the link to Adobe's site, downloaded the correct version (APT for Ubuntu), it opened in Ubuntu Software Center, and I clicked to use it tab. However, there was no indication that Adobe had installed the upgrade. Tried this several times which of course is insane according to Einstein and of course did not work.

This is how it is supposed to go:

Installing Flash on Ubuntu - http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/flash


Even though that post says it is for 10.10 and doesn't work for 11.04, you can still follow the same procedure up until it the install button appears, which it doesn't.

So I finally figure I could try using the Synaptic Package Manager. I typed adobe in the search and the first thing that lists is the Adobe Flash Player plugin installer. So I click and highlight it. Then right click and select the re-install option and then click Apply at the top. Whatta ya know, it worked!





This link shows how to install the three ways, website, Software Center, and Synaptic Package Manager.

Install Adobe Flash Player in Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal - http://www.myapitips.com/2011/04/20/install-adobe-flash-player-in-ubuntu-11-04-natty-narhwal/

And also check out this informative post by ubuntu4beginners:


Adobe Flash Player 11 Beta (both 32 and 64 bit) is available, Easy Installation in Ubuntu - http://ubuntu4beginners.blogspot.com/2011/07/adobe-flash-player-11-beta-both-32-and.html

No comments:

Post a Comment